Welcome to the Higher Community! Our community serves to connect the students of Higher Jiu Jitsu with each other, celebrate our wins, get answers for your questions, talk and learn more about Gracie Jiu Jitsu, movement, health, MMA, and everything in between. Be sure to read through these guidelines so we can work together to maintain a friendly and supportive community all around.
Here we go!
What is the Community?
The Community is where you'll connect with the students of Higher Jiu Jitsu, here and from all over the world. We're lucky to attract some amazing people. The word that best describes everyone here is "positive." You'll certainly find the feedback and accountability you've been craving, but you'll build fun relationships with cool people.
Okay. So where is the community?
Slack is our new home and we really like the setup. You can sign up any time and we'll send over an invite. The best way to connect is to download the Slack desktop app and sign in to stay on top of our conversations.
I've never used Slack before. How does it work?
- First, download the Slack desktop app.
- Once you sign in, you'll already be included in our main channels, such as #general, #technique, #training, #mmatalk, and #wins. There are more channels, though. If you click on “Channels”, you can browse all of our available channels and join any you want to participate in. You can also mute channels or remove yourself from them any time.
- Head into the #introduceyourself channel and say hi. Tell us about yourself, your line of work, or any other details you'd like everyone to know about you. Oh, and be sure to update your Slack profile a pic and your phone number so we can know who you are.
Now it's time to join in the fun. Chat with people in channels, @ mention them (just like on Facebook or Twitter) to talk directly to people, or send a Direct Message if the need arises.
Check out the Slack team settings. There's so much you can do to make this Slack team work perfectly for you.
Remember the “give give give get” principle in our community – be of service to others as much as possible (and especially before promoting something of your own!). There's a whole channel for those promos, by the way. It's #shamless-self-promo and it's there anytime you want to join in.
What kinds of conversations happen here?
Everything related to jiu jitsu, and health, and life. This could look like:
- Announcements about upcoming events and programs
- Sharing any wins from a recent class
- Asking for strategies, feedback, or advice on a particular problem
- Discourse on all things ProCoach and health related
- Discussion of movement practices and checking in with others
- Connect with other students and collaborate
- Learn more about how others are approaching their training
Someone posted something that's offensive and/or rude. What do I do?
Let us know as soon as you can. We'll take care of it right away.
How do I know what's safe to post?
Great question. We consider our Community to be like a family and we ask that you treat each other with respect. We can't edit your posts, but moderators can delete them. We will delete posts that contain:
- Rude or offensive comments
- Nudity or graphic content
- Spam or “trolling” posts/comments
Basically, be cool. Be supportive and helpful, speak to others the way you want to be spoken to, remember that typed out words don't carry tone or inflection with them so it's important to consider how something could be read, and, most importantly, keep in mind that there's a human being on the other side of the computer screen.
I still have questions. Where do I send those?
Send an email to email@example.com. We're more than happy to answer any additional questions you might have.
Okay. I'm ready to join. How do I do that again?
Click right here: